Ben Stiller has revealed he was diagnosed with prostate cancer two years ago.
The 50-year-old actor revealed that early detection saved him while in an interview on The Howard Stern Show on Tuesday (October 4).
“It came out of the blue for me,” Ben said. “I had no idea….If I hadn’t gotten the test, my doctor started giving it to me at 46, I still wouldn’t know.”
“I wanted to talk about it because of the test, because I feel like the test saved my life,” Ben added about the Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) test. Ben added he took the PSA test twice in six months, and in the second test, his PSA went up.
“After the second time, I started to get a little worried,” adding that he had surgery six weeks later. “I was diagnosed on Friday the 13th, then I had until August 23rd to get ready for the surgery. So I just had the summer to hang out and think about it.”
“At first, I didn’t know what was going to happen. I was scared. The one thing that it does is it just stops everything in your life when you get diagnosed with cancer because you can’t plan for a movie – you don’t know what’s going to happen,” Ben added. “The controversy about the test is that once you get treatment for prostate cancer, things can happen: incontinence, impotence. It’s the second most deadly cancer, but it’s also one of the most survived cancers, if it’s detected early.”
“Afterwards, it just gives you an appreciation for life,” Ben continued. “Every six months I’m taking my PSA test to make sure I’m clear.”
- Ryan Lochte says Michael Phelps wasn't there for him after Rio scandal - US Weekly
- Rob Kardashian showed up for Blac Chyna's baby shower - TMZ
- Candace Cameron Bure’s daughter Natasha auditioned for The Voice! - Gossip Cop
- Bella Thorne and Tyler Posey are packing on the PDA - Just Jared Jr
- See the inside of the apartment where Kim Kardashian was robbed - Radar
- Scarlett Johansson had an interesting headband on while filming Rock This Body - Lainey Gossip
- Leonardo DiCaprio talked climate change at SXSL - The Hollywood Reporter